Wednesday, December 09, 2009

You Ought to Be in Pictures...hmm

My son has become my students' hero. Unbeknownst to him, he is grandly admired and spoken of highly everyday. A picture of him holding a welcome home card created with grand compassion by these students stands beside the copy of the Canadian Anthem and flag.

Well today, a student of mine with a big smile, came to me carrying a pencil and a small piece of paper in hand. He smiled and said, "I saw you on a video on the web!" You and *(your son)! You were hugging him and crying!" As I have not published any pictures of my son, I replied that it might have been someone else, perhaps someone looking like us. He insisted that it was us. Quickly, he took his pencil and wrote a phrase to look up on the computer. Tonight, I promptly checked it out and low and behold... it was us. Me clutching my son with tears streaming down my face as he was turning to leave on his first deployment. It quickly brought back that painful day, as I tried so hard to put on a brave face, a forced smile through tears which could not hide.

To my son: I love you and am very proud of you. ox

No comments: