Friday, March 16, 2007

We Shall Remember Cpl. Megeney

Soldier remembered for his bravery and commitment
Updated Fri. Mar. 16 2007 2:42 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

Family weeps outside Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Church, Stellarton, NS
Cpl. Kevin Megeney, killed in Afghanistan earlier this month, was remembered today as a "great soldier and a great friend" at his funeral in Stellarton, N.S.
His flag-draped casket was carried into the Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Church by military pallbearers as a bell rang overhead.

Inside, about 100 family members, and hundreds of soldiers, reflected on Megeney's life during the full military funeral. Dressed in his desert fatigues, Cpl. Brent Bowden, who served with Megeney, delivered one of the eulogies in honour of his friend "Kev." ""I am proud to be his partner, proud to know Kev. Kev was my best friend," Bowden said. Bowden described Megeney as a soldier who was prepared for the dangers of Afghanistan but believed in the mission. "Every time he put on the uniform, wearing the Canadian flag on his shoulders, Kev was proud." "He believed in the mission -- that was his reason for serving -- that was his reason for going. He wanted to help," Bowden said. Through tears, Bowden said his friend should be remembered as someone who "paid the supreme sacrifice for his country." "He was a great soldier a great friend to be relied on for anything no matter what it was," said Bowden. The 25-year-old, a member of the First Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders, was killed in his tent at the Canadian base in Kandahar on March 6 by a gunshot wound to the chest. He died 20 minutes later from the wound. Military officials have confirmed that Megeney was shot in the chest but have yet to verify if he was shot by another member of his platoon. Megeney was a 'fine man' Robert Morrison, whose son and Megeney were childhood friends, described the soldier as a fine man. "Everything good - just full of life, a gentleman, 100 per cent," said Morrison. "Everyone could talk to him. He's just a nice guy." As more than 200 filed into the church, Morrison said Megeney's home town, which is on the North West coast of Nova Scotia, was stunned by the news of his death. ""It's a shock, everybody's in shock," Morrison said. "But the support has been great. The town has all come together. You can tell everywhere you go. Everyone you talk to, it's all about Kevin." Megeney's uncle George Megeney said the death of the infantryman not only affects his family, but the family of the soldier who fired the shot. He called his nephew's death, a "very, very unfortunate accident." Speaking to Canada AM on Friday, Megeney's cousin, Brian MacLeod, said the family is focusing on Kevin's accomplishments. "The funeral today will be about celebrating Kevin's life not just as a soldier but as a friend and family member," said MacLeod. He said the family was coping well. "There's been a lot of grieving but also a lot of reflection and thinking about those happy times with Kevin." MacLeod described his cousin as someone with "a great sense of humour" who was "not a leader of the pack but very influential in any group he was ever a part of." Local residents are also honouring Megeney with a yellow ribbon campaign. "We're not a large community... but if you go up the main street of Stellarton you'd see ribbons on every street post, door, window -- the community has certainly banded together and given us a lot of support." Megeney, who volunteered to go to Afghanistan in December, is the 45th Canadian soldier to be killed there since 2002. He is the eighth Nova Scotian to die during the mission. "It takes a lot to travel to a warn-torn country to do his job," Bowden said. "We all know the risks. We all know what might happen. But above all, we all know what we're there to do. Kev did his part with pride and honour." The son of Karen and Dexter Megeney, Kevin was born in New Glasgow, N.S., and joined the reserves in 1999. He had two older siblings. Since 2002, six Canadian soldiers have been killed in accidental or friendly fire incidents. With files from The Canadian Press

Dear Megeney Family, friends and commrades: We grief alongside you, praying for you through your difficult journey. May you take comfort in knowing that many Military moms, dads, sisters, brothers, husbands, wives and friends feel your sorrow and our hearts and prayers are with you as we always remember Kevin~ Canada's hero. God bless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God Bless all our sons & Daughters I pray they come home safe.

Anonymous said...

"I am a soldier"

I am a small and precious child, my dad's been sent to fight,The only place I'll see his face is in my dreams at night.He will be gone too many days for my young mind to keep track,I will be sad, but I am proud-my daddy's got your back.I am a caring mother, whose son has gone to war,My mind is filled with worries I have never known before.Everyday I try to keep my thoughts from turning black, I may be scared, but I am proud-my son has got your back.I am a strong and loving wife with a husband soon to go: there are times I'm terrified in a way that most never know.I bite my lip, and force a smile as I watch my husband pack, my heart may break, but I am proud-my husband has got your back.And I am a soldier, serving proudly, standing tall,I fight for freedom, yours, mine by answering this call. I do my job while knowing the thanks it sometimes lacks---say a prayer that I'll come home. It's me who has got your back.