Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Canadian Forces Officer Completes Cross-Country Cycling Tour in Support of Military Families


.
July 24, 2007 - Lieutenant-Commander Jean Marcotte will return from his two-month cycling tour across Canada in support of the CDS Military Families Fund, which was launched in April 2007 as a vehicle to assist Canadian military families at home and around the world.

Meet with LCdr Marcotte, his family and friends to acknowledge the end of his trip. LCdr Marcotte is a 37-year Canadian Forces (CF) member and avid cyclist. Donations have been collected since his departure representing one penny per kilometer cycled per donation and a representative of the Fund, Brigadier-General Martin will be present to accept a cheque for the CDS Military Families Fund from LCdr Marcotte.

LCdr Marcotte left Ottawa on June 2nd and first cycled to Newfoundland, where he dipped his bike into the Atlantic. After flying to Victoria, British Columbia, he then did the same in the Pacific and has made the trip home via central Canada. LCdr Marcotte is expected to cross into Ontario from the Champlain Bridge but his final stop will be on Parliament Hill.

WHERE:  Parliament Hill (by the Eternal flame)

WHEN: Wednesday at 10:15 a.m. (Event will take place rain or shine.)
.
An Excerpt from LCdr Marcotte's Journal:
.
Day 53 (July 24, 2007) - I left yesterday from a camp-siteocated at
Point Alexander approximately 10 km in north of Deep River.
The lady of the camp-site had pity for me and made me a delicious
hamburger when I told her that I was probably going to carry on my way
until Deep River because I had not eaten anything since 10h00 in the
morning. Finally a good meal and a beautiful camp-site where I met a
couple from Perth that was returning from White Horse passing by the
Yellowhead trail. If ever I cross Canada again I believe that I will
pass by this road. I left with an odometer indicating 6915.2 km.
Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, almost no wind but the little that
was present blew against me. I stopped in Petawawa and gave an
interview for the Petawawa Post for the CDS funds. Finally I stopped in
Shawville, Qc in a very beautiful and free municipal camp-site. This
morning I have 3 friends who come to join to me to do the last
remaining leg towards my house with me. This evening I will sleep in my
house and tomorrow a last leg from the house towards the Parliament
Hill with the CDS to officially give the cheque to the fund.

To view LCdr Marcotte's cross country journal online, visit:
http://pages.videotron.com/cycleman
.

No comments: